Journaling is one of the simplest, most accessible, and effective ways to support your mental health — and journaling prompts can help you get started. Some use journaling as an outlet to dump negative or destructive thoughts so they’re no longer weighing. Others use it as a tool to self-reflect and grow. No matter how you’re hoping to journal, the research is clear: journaling works.
According to research, journaling can have a significant positive impact on day to day mood and resilience:
- Helps you prioritize and cope with fears and problems.
- Allows you to keep track of daily moods and symptoms to better recognize triggers, catch them early, and take on self-care to address them.
- Provides an opportunity and safe space for identifying negative thoughts and shifting to positive self-talk.
We’ve gathered 12 of our favorite prompts you can use to better understand yourself.
Journaling prompts for positive mental health
- What are 5 things in your physical space that you’re grateful for? This can be a person, place, or thing.
- Think of one thing you accomplished today, big or small. Write yourself a thank you letter for the accomplishment.
- Write about something someone did that made you happy. Or, write about something you did to make someone else happy.
- Imagine a younger version of yourself. What would you say to them?
- Write the words you need to hear right now from someone else.
- What is one thing you’re really good at, and describe why this is a skill.
- What does a perfect day look like for you? Describe it.
- What is the one thing you worry about most? Is this worry realistic? If so, is there anything you can do about it? What’s one thing you can do to help yourself feel better during times of worry?
- What’s one topic that learning more about would help you live a more fulfilling life? How can you make time to show up and learn about it?
- What’s your biggest fear in relation to money?
- What story were you taught about money while growing up?
- What does it mean to you to have ‘not enough’ money? And what about ‘too much’, if there’s such a thing?
Get support for your mental health
Journaling prompts are an amazing tool to self-reflect, express your feelings, and self-soothe. But sometimes we need a little extra support. A registered clinical counsellor can help you unpack complicated feelings, and equip you with the tools to deal with the waves of mental health as they flow. Wellin5 matches you to a counsellor who meets your unique needs. Take the first step and experience your first session in just 1-3 days. Get started.