So, we made it to 2022. It’s a new start and a cause for celebration! Many take this as an opportunity to re-visit their habits, mindset, and goals. But how do we actually do that? How can we use this time to set ourselves up for success? Let’s dive into a couple of strategies to start the new year right.
1. Set realistic goals
Sure this might seem like a great time to completely re-invent yourself — but it’s simply not realistic to change your life overnight. Approach your goals from a realistic and tangible mindset.
- Be selective: Pick a few goals you’d like to achieve, or positive habits you’d like to build.
- Get intentional: You know your end game, and now it’s time to determine how to get there. What skills or tools will you need to achieve the goal? What’s a realistic timeline to develop those skills? Is there anyone in your life who can support you with the specific goal? It helps to get these thoughts on paper (or computer) so you can sort out a plan.
- Adjust as you go: The fun part of goal-setting is the journey to achieving them — and you won’t always know what the path is going to look like. You might head in the wrong direction and need to turn back. You might discover one of your skills isn’t serving you, and it’s time to develop a new one. Expect bumps in the road and don’t be afraid to switch gears.
2.Take good care of yourself
You can’t pour from an empty cup. Ensuring your needs are taken care of is one of the best ways to set yourself up for success. Everyone is different, so take the time to check in with your physical, spiritual, and emotional needs. Whether it’s drinking water and moving your body, setting boundaries with loved ones, or taking the time to journal at the beginning of each day — these things matter. Set the time aside
3. Lean on your support system
A good support system to lean on can make all the difference. Setting new years goals for ourselves is an amazing practice, but don’t live in a vacuum, and we all need a little help along the way. Your support system can include all kinds of different people:
- Mental health professionals
- Community groups
- Teachers and mentors
4. Make time for fun
The new year also brings opportunities to pick up new hobbies, indulge in old ones, laugh, and create new memories. So make time for what brings you joy — it doesn’t all have to be so serious.
Start the new year off right with professional support
A mental health professional can help you set a plan and stick to it this year. Wellin5’s team of registered clinical counsellors are here to guide you through your goals and intentions throughout the new year.
Get matched with a counsellor who meets your specific needs. Start today.